Sunday, May 4, 2014

Muddy Puddles



Bed of Lettuce
What a week of crazy weather!  Tuesday we were all bundled up as we planted lettuce in the cold wind, Wednesday we took shelter in the Greenhouse while 5.25 inches of water fell from the Heavens, and Thursday we were sweating with the temperature almost at 80 degrees!  The drastic weather changes definitely kept our farm manager on his toes with deciding what to do when.  Muddy fields prevent us from driving the tractors on them so in preparation for the coming rain, on Monday evening I stayed an hour and a half later to do tractor work that wouldn't be able to get done for the rest of the week.  And no, I didn't get to come into work an hour and a half later the next day.  With farming, if something needs to get done, you stay to finish it without hopes of extra rest the next day!  One of my favorite moments this week was on Thursday when two little girls in pretty flower dresses were jumping and dancing in the muddy puddles.  One of them asked me very excitedly "Are you a farmer?!"  I replied equally as ecstatic "Yes, I am!"  She smiled and continued jumping in puddles.  Little moments like that make life just a bit more sweet.    

Tuesday was a great day to have three extra people come out to the farm and help us plant lettuce and onions!  Many hands make light work!  Find a local farm near you and go volunteer.  It is so much fun!


Raining drive in the pick-up truck on Wednesday.


Thankful for Muck Boots!


Muddy Princess.  How adorable are they?  I was so jealous that they got to splash around and play in the mud and wished I could join them.  And then Jeff, the farm manager, brings out to do work in the garlic fields where my wish came true!  We got to crawl around in the mud!


Dirty, happy farmers!


Nicole's mud straw dance break.


Garlic in the foreground, onions & leeks in the pool....We needed rain but 5.25" was a bit much.


The way Muck Boots should be - Muddy!



Getting the straw off of the garlic while playing in the mud.  If only I had a flower dress and tiara!


Poor garlic plant sopping wet!


This is how farmers do pre-wash.  On the drive way with a hose!


Trying to get the dirt chunks off before putting them in the washing machine!

I have work Mother's Day weekend so if you want to come visit, let me know!  I'll be on the farm all day Saturday and Sunday.  There will be a plant sale going on so if you need flowers or vegetables for your garden, come on by and I can give you a tour!  

No comments:

Post a Comment