Thursday, July 31, 2014

End of July Already?!


2014 is flying by!  It's already August!  Where does the time go?  Farming is interesting because the days seem longer but go by in a blink of an eye.  I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it feels.  My alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m., we start farming at 7:00 a.m., lunch at noon, and then we are done around 5:15 p.m.  Twelve hours gone.  The days fade together as the week moves forward and before I know it, Sunday arrives and I get to sleep in!  (Sleep in meaning hopefully I don't open my eyes until 6:00 a.m.!)  Often after work, I have little energy left for anything else.  My boss works even longer days than us apprentices and has two young kids.  I really do not know how he does it (besides a lot of coffee and jumping up & down to energize himself!).  My intention was to write a new blog post each week focused on how my week was, a bit nutrition info about the crops that we are harvesting, and a recipe or two.  Well, that hasn't happened obviously but maybe in the winter I can sit down and write more eloquently about my experience this year!

I am in shock that I have been a full time farmer now for five months.  We have four more to go and I'm looking forward to seeing how the summer fades into autumn, what new crops we harvest, what new challenges lay ahead, and what knew lessons will be learned.  And as if I'm not busy enough as it is with this whole farming thing, Matthew & I have decided to get married this year!
November 22, 2014
Why wait?  So on top of my busy farming schedule, now I have a busy wedding planning schedule.  People are asking me "Did you choose your colors?  What's the countdown?  How is dress shopping going?"  OK, so the answer is, "I don't know" to all of those.  I've never planned a wedding before and was unaware of needing to do all of those things.  Well, at least I downloaded a countdown app on my computer.  114 days until we say "I Do!" which means 113 days to get a lot of stuff done!  Here's to keeping busy with farming, being in love, and planning one of the greatest days of our lives together.  

Caught in the rain and sopping wet!
I didn't know sopping was an actual word, I thought it was just slang, but google defines it as 
"saturated with liquid, wet through."  Yup, I chose the correct word to describe this picture!


You know what they say "You ain't a farmer until you've been caught in the rain."
Oh, that isn't a saying?  Well now it is!




Garlic harvest!  Amongst the millions of weeds, there is 
garlic in there and we are going to get every last one!


Team Garlic 2014


Pizza lunch break!


Loading the wagon with our garlic bounty!


Farmer Jeff gives two thumbs up for garlic (his other thumb was busy steering the tractor!)


When it comes to eating, I think there can never be too much garlic!  
Thankfully, Matthew feels the same!


 Garlic! Garlic! Garlic!



We are the garlic champions of the world!


Head of cabbage


Canning pickles!  I brought home a 5 gallon bucket full of pickling cucumbers which 
weighs 20 pounds and we made 22 quarts of pickles!  We thankfully bought this outdoor 
burner to connect to a propane tank so that we can do our canning outside when it is nice out!  
Plus that canning pot weights a lot of with water & 7 quart jars full of cucumbers so this burner 
is able to withstand the heat needed and the weight.


Our set up.


 End product.  Yummy yummy yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment