Tuesday, August 26, 2014

End Of August Already?!


Jeff with son Henry aka Tomato Monster.
Jeff has to actually stop him from eating tomatoes!


My last post was about my amazement that it was the end of July....and now a month later and it's the end of August!  Again, I seriously can not believe how quickly time has passed.  The heat has returned this week which actually has felt nice, tomorrow supposed to be reaching 91 degrees.  I feel like this summer has been unusually cool, but as my boss says, each year for the past decade the weather has been unusual.  We have lucked out in not having to work in too many super hot, sweltering days.  Some crops have enjoyed the cooler weather, such as lettuce which does not grow well in the heat.  While other crops have taken longer to mature, such as okra which thrives in the intense heat of summer.  I thrive in the Autumn air but I just feel like the end of summer is coming too soon.  I saw pumpkin beer in the grocery store the other day.  Even though it's my favorite beer and I look forward to it every year, I can not bring myself to buy a 6 pack (or case...) until at least September, if not October.  It just doesn't feel right.  Like so many other things in our society and world, we are on the fast track to go out with the old and in with the new.  Even though the days, weeks, and months have been flying by, farming is allowing me to see, feel, and witness the passing of the seasons so in a way, time is irrelevant.  With only three more months left of the farming season (and 87 days until our wedding!), I am challenging myself to slow down a bit, enjoy the passing of the clouds, watch a bird fly by, and be in the present moment.  And hopefully I'll find the time to write another post before the end of another month!



This is a parasitized hornworm!  The hornworm is bad for tomatoes because they chew right through them.  So we released specialized wasps to lay their eggs in the hornworm which will then hatch, eventually eating the hornworm alive.  Gross and awesome at the same time!


Truck bed full of weeds and a tired, happy crew!


Garlic hung in the farm shop to dry.


Jeff writes a newsletter about once a month.  This one is hot off the press and everyone is just so intrigued but his amazing wordsmanship.  That's a great new word, I'll tell him to incorporate it into his September newletter.


The excitement!


Astonishing!





I actually made it to not one, but TWO, Wednesday night beach concerts at Sandy Hook!  I grew up going to the beach concert every Wednesday and now it's fun to be there with my nieces.


Oh cherry tomatoes, how I love thee.


Cantaloupe!  If you ate one of our cantaloupe, you would never bother wasting your money purchasing one at a grocery store.  I wish I could give you a taste through the computer, but that hasn't been invented yet.


Fellow apprentice Nicole and workshare Kristin taking the garlic down from the rafters.


Oh, just a farmer doing farmer things in a farmer way.


Farmer fashion.


Taylor showing off our amazing pepper crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment